30218Re: changing last names

  • CurtB
    Aug 4, 2011
      Not sure whether this is "typical", but it is not unusual. As different alphabets of Latin, Hungarian, and Slovak are used, the spellings change, and first names such as Janos [hungarian] and Jan [slovak] are really the same. Shortening of names is also common

      Adamcsik, Adamcik, Adam, is not unusual.

      This happens not just in Slovak records but other European countries and in the U.S. records we well. Spelling and orthography were regularized in the U.S. only in the 20th century and recording of surnames still undergoes changes in the U.S.

      Curt B.

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Peg's Gmail <pegivanyo@...> wrote:

      > Since this group seems to be answering all my odd questions today, I'm going for a third one.
      >
      > Is it typical for names to change in the parish records over time?
      >
      > For example, the last couple of days I've been extracting records from 1832-1860, baptisms. I am finding Ivanyo, and Ivanyov. But now, on image 24 of 94 I'm seeing a Janos Ivany??ov--several extra letters. Early in this same record he is listed as just Janos Ivanyo.
      >
      > Earlier this year in a similar set of records I found an Anna �d�mcsik which was later shortened to just �d�m.
      >
      > Common practice? Does it have a meaning of some kind?
      >
      > Peg

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic