30217changing last names

  • Peg's Gmail
    Aug 4, 2011
      Since this group seems to be answering all my odd questions today, I'm going for a third one.

      Is it typical for names to change in the parish records over time?

      For example, the last couple of days I've been extracting records from 1832-1860, baptisms. I am finding Ivanyo, and Ivanyov. But now, on image 24 of 94 I'm seeing a Janos Ivany??ov--several extra letters. Early in this same record he is listed as just Janos Ivanyo.

      Earlier this year in a similar set of records I found an Anna Ádámcsik which was later shortened to just Ádám.

      Common practice? Does it have a meaning of some kind?

      Peg
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic