28649[S-R] Re: Illeg

  • CurtB
    Jan 10, 2011
      It is not so much the numbers of illeg children born from 1850 to 1890 in Slovak territory, but the percentage of such births viewed as illeg compared to the total number of births. has anyone made such a count for a particular village? I'm starting to do it among many other statistics for two villages. One in Saris another in Zemplin.Not done yet, but it does not seem to exceeed 6 percent, maybe some less. Even among these, a fair number were legitimized later when the parents married. This is likely typical of rural areas of Europe, with urban areas likely a higher rate. Will seek out more historical statistics.
      This does not, of course, take into account the larger likely number of pregnancies before marriage then which resulted in a hasty marriage that was planned anyway or even unanticipated.

      The U.S. commerce department has just released last year's statistics through the statistical abstract of the U.S. In the U.S. the percent of births with parents unmarried compared to total births is 41 percent. That is not a mistype -- 41 percent. Termination of pregnancies was also very uncommon in the 19th century, but accepted today, which makes the statistics even significantly higher today by comparison.

      Curt B.