28639Re: Illeg

  • nilo3rak
    Jan 7, 2011
      Servilis is just like it sounds, servant. I noted that in the church records of Pechujfalu (Pecovska Nova Ves), Saros county there was a manor house; it seemed the lord of the manor and his sons were in residence. Those records had the most single mothers that have seen anywhere. Perhaps the gentry were practising "droit de seigneur" in all ways. Now we call it employers abusing their positions of authority. Perhaps your g-grandmother was a servant girl in one of the estates and was molested.

      In the records of Szent Mihaly I found unmarried mothers were called common whores, but the origanal Latin is a bit more graphic. For some reason my g-grandfather was a godparent to some of these children.

      Then while reading Greek Catholic records in Boksa, Zemplin some girls were "concubinus" and the father was noted. Okay Bill, was this a practise in that church?

      In all, there is nothing new under the sun.
      Carolyn