28631Re: [S-R] Re: Slovakland & Slovakia's Economic Status

  • helene cincebeaux
    Jan 5, 2011
      Thanks to Bill, Michael and all who shed light on Slovakland!

      Bill, in light of your comments below that Slovakia remains barckward in
      comparison to the Czech Republic - I don't  agree -

      When i first went in to Slovakia in 1969  and the early 70s the Czechs were
      complaining that Slovakia got all the big factories - they said President
      Husak favored Slovakia????

      As for present day it seems that Slovakia is booming with the auto industries
      and parts and tires and steel - I know there has been a downturn but still
      people seem quite prosperous - well dressed, fancy cars (getting hard to find an
      old Skoda), many taking vacations in exotic places; big homes going up outside
      of each town and in many villages, and the ultimate status symbol touted on
      bulletin boards across the country last summer - a riding lawn mower!

      I get a more upbeat vibe there than I do in the Czech Republic.

      would love to hear comments from our experts on this

      helene