28585SISAK OR SYSAK

  • Marjorie
    Jan 3, 2011
      Thanks to everyone who posted a response to my query...I would still like to hear from Barb who mentioned the name SISAK in her last post...
      I do have the birth date for Andrew Sysak as 10/18/1880...arriving in U.S. from Austria Hungary (realize could be one of several countries)in 1896...He married Justyna Oprishko on 6/1/1907 at St. Cyril and Methodius in Olyphant PA...have written to them for a record but had no response. Andrew died from a train accident in Nov. 1927....I have studied the records for Wislok Wielki (where Justyna definetely came from) extensively and can't find a record of Sysak...His parents were Michael Sysak and Marka Yarvernick...Andrew had two full brothers: Stephan Sysak who was a barber in Olyphant and Miklaus in Erie PA...he had several half brothers because his mother was the 3rd wife of Michael, his father...hope this isn't too confusing...
      This is a great group by the way...And I appreciate all the help I have recieved here...I realize that my Sysak/Opryshko people are not Slovak...They are most likely Rusyn and/or Lemko...
      Just to reiterate the two Slovak families I am researching (my mom's parents) are John Gonos and Pearl Petruska...
      Thanks again...
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic