      From: egrillmair@...
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2000 10:31 PM
      Subject: Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Mutnansky Search

      Hi, Judy -
      I would say that in the old Austrian Empire where possibly civil
      servants from the capital Vienna made out the marriage certificate,
      "Wachmann" meant almost certainly police officer - but not a dreaded
      one, as for example under the Nazi regime, but a benevolent one who
      helped people. Before the advent of the electric streetlights (which
      1868 certainly was), there could also have been a "Nachtwaechter" who
      had more or less the duties of a nighttime security guard - but then he
      would have been called that, i.e. Nachtwaechter. It was definitely NOT a
      watchmaker - who would have been called an "Uhrmacher". "Wachmann" is a
      typical Viennese expression and may not even occur in a German
      dictionary.
      Best wishes,
      Elfriede Steiner Grillmair

      jajames@... wrote:

      > On the marriage registration for Andreas (Andrej) Mutnansky, his
      > occupation is listed as "vachman". If this means "watchman", does
      > that refer to a security guard of some sort or a person who fixes
      > watches? The date of the marriage was 1868.
      >
      > All help is appreciated. Thank you.
      >
      > Judy

      eGroups Sponsor