28219Re: [S-R] Re: SABO

  • MaryLou V. Crouch
    Nov 15, 2010
      I found the document about the Sabanos name. I have both the original
      and a translation (translator is J.S.--I don't know who that is). The
      following paragraph was part of a longer letter. I have typed it
      exactly as it appears in the translation so there are some sections that
      don't quite make sense. Although Sabo is not mentioned, Szabo is--I
      have been told that Sabo is the Slovak spelling and Szabo is the
      Hungarian but I don't know that for sure. Hope this is useful to someone.

      In your letter you are asking when did the name of Sabanosh appear
      on the church records. Well, the history of the past was so; Hanusovce
      went through a difficult situation.Two waves of cholera went through
      our eastern sector, Hanusovce was spared. We also had destructive fires,
      which in these days with wooden structures would have destroyed
      all of Hanusovce to the ground.The anti-reformarion was very cruel. All
      components resulted in many departing, which was very cruel and at
      times were forced to move out, and in their places other people came
      in.The first half of the sixteenth century, after a wave of cholera
      the inhabitants of this place moved out.In their places settlers came in
      from Hungary, Austria and Poland.From Hungary came Szabovci written in
      Hungarian, from Austria the Fabrovci, and from Poland
      Sochovci.Others related Szabovych came also Furcsovczi, and others that
      passed on.Now the year seventeen eighty three comes into
      existence.The name Szabo, seventeen eighty four.We now have four nee
      Szabocov: the first Szabanos, again like I am writing, then
      written in Hungarian.In the year eighteen nineteen George Szabanos, born
      20^th of April 1817 died 17^th of March 1880.It is questionable if
      he were originally a Szabanos and how he got this name.Either there
      were too many Szabovcov and in order to recognize by name they settled
      with the name Szabanos.Just as Szabo-ondocko, Szabo-zavozarnu
      and so on.There is no way to find exactly how he got this name.

      Signed:Sepesi, Evanj Pastor

      PS Pastor Sepesi found written in a book, a note that a family
      named Szabo came from a Hungarian town name of "Eger" in Slovak the name
      is Jager.

      Transr.J.S.