      From: laffingdukk
      Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 10:43 AM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [S-R] Re: Looking for ancestral village-need help

      If Mike Adamov had a social security card, you usually can find out the name of his birth village by ordering a hard copy of his ss card application, for $27; it takes about 2 weeks to arrive via mail. This is how I discovered my great-grandmother's birth village (she also was born in 1892.) Keep in mind that it was still Austria-Hungary in 1892 so village listed on SS application may have a different name variation. By the time my gr-grandma applied for a social security card, Austria-Hungary was long gone, so she used the modern name of village on her app, but I don't know if everyone did this or not. In addition, she used the Slovak spelling of her surname and parents names (Solcany.) However, when she immigrated in 1912, the Hungarian/Maygar spelling was used (Szolcsanyi), so one thing that I have found helpful is always, always cross reference village names, surnames, etc with old/new spellings and educated guesses :-).

      If you do get the SS application, he may not have been the one who filled it out, so again spelling may be different on application than elsewhere. My gr-grandmother's application was filled out by someone who was fairly accurate in their spelling, but I know it was not her because her signature isn't even close to the printing on the application, not even the same pen.

      Finally, one thing I have found to be rampant is transcription errors. I ALWAYS look at the original document when available. (sorry if this has been mentioned before, I just joined the group this morning.)

      It's hard to comment on the village without seeing the original document, but based on what you have here, my first guess would be "Bánovce nad Ondavou" The other names of village have been:
      1773 Banócz, Banowcze, 1786 Banocz, Banowcze, 1808 Bánócz, Bánowce, 1863-1913 Bánóc, 1920 Bánovce, 1927- Bánovce nad Ondavou

      hope this helps

      Dina