      From: tomfgurka
      Sent: Saturday, August 07, 2010 1:59 PM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [S-R] Amalia Gurkova

      Mike, you asked for it. I will start from the beginning.

      It all began in the fall of 2001, when , at a family reunion, I received a
      copy of some information, that been obtained from people that are now all
      dead.

      It stated that Amalia Moralevitz was "the second of 8 children" born to
      John Gurko and Maria Pasztorek." (I have since found on LDS records that
      there were four ahead of her).

      She was born in 1873, in IGLO, HUNGARY, which became Spisska Nova Ves.

      The family was originally from Austria, and spoke German.

      The Gurko family lived on a large farm, and was considered prosperous
      for the times. They had a total of 22 house servants and tenant field
      laborers. They also had farm animals, etc. etc. The farm was confiscated
      during WW1, and family living there were all killed. Only those who left
      the farm prior to the war were alive.

      Amalia came to the U.S. at sixteen, with an aunt, to visit friends.
      While here, the aunt broke a leg, and could not immediately return, so
      Amalia got a job, and eventually married. (buried in Cleveland, O. )

      I have asked who the Aunt was; also who the friends were that she
      visited. No one knows.

      I have pretty much figured out a few possibilities who she may have
      been, from names of aunts and uncles on LDS films?

      I paid the Levoca archives for a partial pedigree, going back to 1764
      (grand parents named HISSNAY, KACSURZSKY, HIRT, AND PFAFF)

      Three years ago, I heard of a letter written to Amalia from a place
      called BREZOVICA NAD TORYSA.. I E-mailed this info to my friend, who lives
      in Spisska N.V.. and she E-mailed me back that she called someone she knew
      in Brezovica, and found that the family had been there, but that "THEIR
      CASTLE FELL APART YEARS AGO, AND THEY'RE ALL GONE"

      In the weeks that followed, that lady talked to many older people, whose
      parents or grandparents used to work for the Gurkas. (This Gurka vs Gurko
      thing has me puzzled,. They seem to be used interchangeably??)

      Since it was apparently Jozef Gurko? I sent an application to the
      PREZOV archives for his wedding document, that showed that he was indeed
      born in Spisska Nova Ves. (Also the birth year matched).

      Also, the lady who lived there (Anna), had Jozef Gurko's
      daughter,Ruzena, as a teacher in school in the 1940's (5th to 9th grades).

      Anna also was able to supply a photo of the family house, taken in
      1910, (Their Castle???)

      Last summer I hired Vladi to get me close-ups of Jozef Gurko's
      tombstone, also the REMAINS OF THE FAMILY HOUSE. He was able to get me a
      photo of a building that looks like city hall.

      In front of this building are some billboards. And behind those billboards
      is a sign that states. "HERE STOOD THE GURKO HOUSE".

      I suspect the Communists drove them out of Brezovica.

      As for Spisska Nova Ves, I wrote to city hall there, in Slovak and
      English, hoping that there may have been some old newspapers with some info,
      but they wrote back and said that they had nothing.

      So far my grandmother's family descendents seem to have diappeared over
      there.

      I have put my story in Facebook, in Slovak, put her family tree on
      the website www.rodokmen.com <http://www.rodokmen.com/> .

      If you need more details, let me know. Tom