26782[S-R] Re: Films in POZSONY + Gravestones

  • genmom4
    Jun 1, 2010
      Dear Bill,
      Regarding the films. I am overjoyed that they are finally released, if that is the case. I can't wait to really dig into them now that I am home.

      Regarding the grave...we were so lucky regarding my gr. grandfather's marker. It is in excellent condition: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jrcrazy/4636953934/in/set-72157624131547596/

      One can actually read the inscription. The flowers on the grave indicate that someone is still caring for it.

      Now, believe me, this was the most fortunate find regarding cemeteries.
      I can relate to your situation regarding my Hancsak and Stofan relatives, buried in Kecerovce and Cervenica. In Cervenica, the cemetery is very old, on a hill, and it is obvious that most of the markers have rotten away. The town is very small, and I honestly believe that there is no one left of the surname to care for the grave.
      In Kecerovce, I managed to find only one Hancsak. There should have been several. Again, I am presuming that it was an old marker that rotted away as well.

      In Slanske Nove Mesto, we had this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jrcrazy/4630199180/in/set-72157623990179243/

      Give me a name, but no information. Also found his wife, buried no where near him. I was fortunate enough to have a family member drive in to town and pick up an older woman who knew where every Takac in my family line was buried. Unfortunately, no one seemed to know any of the pertinent information that I was looking for.

      I was told that had I been able to visit the town municipal office, they would have helped me look through the records that I was seeking. But the office closed on Friday at noon, and our trip was not set up to accommodate that timing.

      The priest in Kecerovce let me look through the actual church registry from 1895 to 1908, although he was not happy with me for being there. He kept pointing to his watch and yelling "TIME!! TIME!" I tried to be patient with him, and even though I left empty handed, I gave him 5 Euro for his time. He softened up at that gesture. I truly was appreciative of his taking his time, and allowing me to actually scan the pages for information.

      All in all, the trip was wonderful. We searched for my husband's relatives in a small town in Austria, and there were no grave markers in that church cemetery for his family, or anyone prior to 1895, for that matter. I was told that if there was no family to upkeep the grave marker, because space in cemeteries was limited, that bodies were placed on top of those that were neglected, and a new marker was placed over the old one. Since my husband's gr. grandfather was the last of his line with no surviving siblings who married, we can only presume that was the case for him.

      One thing is for certain, I came home with a lot more knowledge of the area then before I went, and we'd go back in a minute if the opportunity arose again. And, we'd even drive again!

      Barbara