      From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of helene cincebeaux
      Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2010 6:53 AM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [S-R] SURNAMES-Wachtenheim-Szolyva/Svaliava

      Hi Daniel,

      I found a curious thing in Slovakia. My experience over the years was that people weren't that much interested in their ancestors, and didn't go back further than their grandparents. Beyond that they didn't seem to consider that someone with a similar surname might be related. "We're not related they would tell me," even when it was a very unusual name.

      In the villages people couldn't understand my interest in genealogy, I loved this comment, "Why do want to know about them, they are all dead!"

      This is changing, in no small part due to the Americans and Canadians who want to know more about their heritage and personal history. I love the requests I get from Slovaks who have seen the Slovak Pride data base and want help finding family in America.

      Have gotten e mails from Germany, Brazil, Israel, Argentina, Australia and other countries.

      Another sidelight - Megan Smolenyak has done DNA testings of many people with roots in Osturna. She found many of the Smolenyaks had similar DNA but a few were totally unrelated and that makes you wonder if they were adopted when many died of cholera or what.

      Find this a most fascinating subject with no easy answers. A great topic for discussion.

      helene