25498RE: [S-R] Piszana, Slovakia

  • Janet Kozlay
    Mar 2, 2010
      You can find examples of both outcomes-widows remarrying, even in their 50s,
      usually with widowers, and widows who remained unmarried. Remember that
      above all, marriages constituted an economic unit with the husband "bringing
      home the bacon," so to speak, and the wife running the household. The loss
      of either one would usually make life difficult for the one left behind. In
      your case, however, her 22-year-old son would have been old enough to become
      the head of the household.

      When an individual became widowed, remarriage usually took place quickly, in
      the vast majority of cases within the year. You may find the bride of this
      second marriage under her maiden name with the note that she was "widow of
      ___."

      My records include a marriage with an evangelical priest who died when their
      child was an infant. She returned to her "home town" and did not remarry. I
      strongly suspect that she was supported by the child's godfather, a
      prominent and wealthy noble.

      In another case, the wife was left with three infant children when her
      teacher husband committed suicide. She did not remarry either, probably
      because of the stigma attached to her husband's suicide. In her case it led
      to extreme poverty.

      Janet

      _____