25447[S-R] Re: Marriage Records

  • Ron
    Feb 25, 2010
      I have also encountered the mixed pages. A month or two ago I followed John A's recommendation for
      which took me to films for Sulin and Lozin. The images are much easier to read than they are on microfilm, and I have been working Lozin first, downloading the images and going through them to identify year, B, D, M, and add an initial for any family or related name on that page. There are breaks in the series, and I have added images such as "4405893_528 GAP in series start 1886" matching with "4405893_468 GAP in series end 1906"; there are also duplicate images where one is over exposed and I labeled it "4406900_351 BAD see 350"
      and for extraordinary events, a special note "4405893_370 1885 pox szo"

      I guess my natural tendency was to do "cluster genealogy" before I was aware of the name. I only know the grandparent's names and am curious about cousins and friends, so I am looking at godparents as well, and take note of things that pop out, like the pox epidemic mentioned above, or clusters of illegitimacy in the parish that make me want to look at the history for what occurred 9 months before.

      Now it is a matter of book keeping, and searching out the mystery man, Grandfather John Vallo. His family seems absent from the records, or they changed the spelling from Valyo, which is quite a common name in the neighborhood. I did not find a birth listed that corresponds with the marriage license information from Duquesne, being 24 years old in 1915 and born in Lozin. So they Mystery Man remains a major puzzle. Any help or comment here would be greatly appreciated!

      So I have a lot of work ahead of me with all of the images. Consistency and accuracy of my work are now the challenges, and this sure is a distraction from history (of how they lived), which is far more interesting than this accounting exercise!

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Tom Potsko <jaschr71@...> wrote:
      > I've seen intermingled baptismal, marriage and death records, but for the > most part I thrilled with all I've found.
      > On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 8:28 PM, Nancy Gibbs <bohnenstiehl1952@...>wrote:
      > > I have found several pages that were messed up. You'd see page 2 of what > > is obviously a baptism record but no page 1 or vice versa.

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic