      From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of William F Brna
      Sent: Saturday, January 02, 2010 12:50 PM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [S-R] 1910 Census Austria-Bohemia any idea to reigon?

      Tom,

      What you say is partially correct. While it is true that many were
      recruited as cheap labor, and that they were known as "Hunkies" (from
      Hungarian), it is not true that they would have been better off to have
      stayed in Slovakia. Conditions were very difficult and Slovaks, (even
      today), as a rule, went to other countries (not only the US) because it
      was difficult to find work in Slovakia. They did not work for the
      "Company Store", rather, they worked for the companies that owned the
      mines and steel mills. The company provided the "Company Store" in the
      "patches" where the miners, for example, lived and worked. Since the
      miners were usually paid in scrip (not cash), they could only patronize
      the Company Store, which accepted the scrip. My father, who was a
      woodworker in Slovakia, could not find enough work in his occupation so
      he first worked in the mines and later worked in a steel mill.

      While I, personally, object to being called a Hunky, this was no more nor
      less than the common names for other nationalities, e.g. Dagoes, Krauts,
      Johnny Bulls, etc.

      Bill Brna

      On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 09:48:32 -0600 "Tom Geiss" <tomfgurka@gvtc.
      <mailto:tomfgurka%40gvtc.com> com>
      writes:

      And, from my reading of NOVELS, very frequently, they were "recruited' as
      cheap labor for the coal mines, or steel mills. where many of them were
      known as HUNKIES,??? From the lives that some of them led, I got the
      feeling that many of them would have been better off to have stayed in
      Slovakia. Life in the mines , working for the "Company Store" was
      anything but paradise. Tom
      From: koudelkadaniel <koudelkadaniel@ <mailto:koudelkadaniel%40yahoo.com>
      yahoo.com>
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, January 2, 2010, 12:20 AM

      My grand parents i found landed in the pilsen area in chicago

      from the Austria-Bohemia origins on the 1910 census would you think
      groups migrated together and settled in groups from same areas in Czech?

      Thanks

      Dan Koudelka

      Diet Help
      Cheap Diet Help Tips. Click here.
      http://thirdpartyof
      <http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=gejgIzqF18IlHek-YFYB-QAAJ1ABW
      V6bEHHuwwsDmZxHIOGaAAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYQAAAAAA=>