24215RE: [S-R] Petricsko Surname in Szacsur, Zemplen County

    Dec 3, 2009
      Hi Heather,

      I don't have the family name, but I can give you another source. Numerous
      people, including Mick Sura and Jim have uncovered that the archive in
      Satoraljhely, Hungary contains many records from the areas of Slovakia that
      were in the former Zemplen county. In fact, Mick was able to provide an
      1880s decade of gap records he found there.

      The trick is, someone has to go there to get them, and know what you are
      looking for. The Archive will officially deny holding these records (the
      treaty at the end of WWI called for the repatriation of all records to
      successor countries.) As such, you can't write to the Hungary archives
      requesting them. You would need to hire someone like Mick to go down there
      and make digital copies for you.

      You might also want to consider writing to families in Slovakia with your
      surname. Those closest to the ancestral village would be the most
      productive.

      Regards,

      Bill