      From: lkocik@...
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sun, Oct 4, 2009 3:18 pm
      Subject: Re: [S-R] 1869 Hungarian census for Gbely

      Hello.

      I have the 1869 Hungarian census on loan untill the end of Oct. I have found my family and a lot of others that are tied to mine by marriage. I am also noting the names I recognize from the Slovak neighborhood in Binghamton, N.Y.

      If anyone has a name of interest, let me know, and I'll forward the information to you..

      One interesting fact about Gbely that would be of interest to the group in general, is ;going house to house, I noticed only one family that didn't share a house. One house had 5 families. As in U.S. early census, there were boarders, relatives, farm hands, etc. This echos what Bill T. says about the hard times in Slovakia before the mass emmigration of the later 19th century.

      Larry Kocik [Kocich in Gbely]

      From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] O

      Behalf Of Michael Mojher

      Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 10:43 PM

      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

      Subject: Re: [S-R] ANNA CSUBA/ CHUBA GEORGE SUTYAK / SHUTYAK

      Believe it or not, most villages would have had their own church. The

      problem was there was not a enough priests to go around. So often the larger

      places would be the parish and then out laying villages would be associates.

      This made for an interesting situation, since the priest could not get to

      all of the villages on Sunday he would go another day. So some villages

      could have their "Sunday" on a weekday. I looked at a list of Greek Catholic

      parishes in the area, there are 10. The nearest neighboring GC church to

      Kyjov is 4 miles away in Sarrisske Jastrabie. The "big" town in the area is

      Lipany.

      There is not much online for Kyjov.

      http://www.leslie-turek.com/trip8.html this is an account of a trip to

      Kyjov, with pictures.

      Slovakia is a country of small villages. There are some 2300 villages.

      On some roads villages are less than half a mile apart. It is one of the

      reasons that you average about 45 mph when driving country roads. You are

      constantly slowing down.

      Every village seems to have a church. In my own ancestral village,

      Hromos, the Greek Catholics and Roman Catholics shared the same church for

      125 years. Then three years ago after the church had been renovated the

      Greeks kicked the Romans out. The Romans in two years built their own. This

      is a village of 550 souls.

      Of interest to me is how the spelling of the surnames you have differ

      from those I found listed. I have seen Csuba before, but not Cuba. All four

      names had a different spelling. The Slovak spelling would be considered the

      "official" one.

      Since 2001 I have made six trips to Slovakia. Having spent about 5

      months there over those trips. Kyjov is about 8 miles from Hromos. I have

      driven past Kyjov hundreds of times. On my next trip I would be happy to get

      some photographs for you.. And I can certainly inquire about your family

      there. It is possible I'll be going there in 2010.