      From: Michael Mojher
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, September 06, 2009 1:43 AM
      Subject: Re: [S-R] Name Changes

      Tom,
      I used the 1995 Slovakia Census database to search the spellings of the surnames to listed in your message.
      Hudeck 0 hits, a list of alternatives was given.
      Hudek - 108 found in 28 locations.
      Hudcek - 46 found in 16 locations.
      Hudecek - 167 found 65 locations.
      Hudecz - 7 found in 5 locations.
      Hudec - 3318 found in 587 locations.
      From this you can see there are a variety of spellings. If yours is Hudek then it is one of the lesser used spellings.
      Kodesch - 4 found in 2 locations
      Hodesch - 0
      Holisch - 12 found in 7 locations
      Kosesch given as an alternative.
      Szonoga - 0
      Sonoga - 36 listings in 14 locations.
      Gurko - 1 found in 1 location.
      Gurka - 98 found in 28 locations.
      Since in 1995 there was only one person with the spelling Gurko I would conclude that somewhere along the way the "a" got changed to an "o".
      In my own name in Slovakia it is spelled Mojcher, but originally there and in the USA it is Mojher. I found in the records how and when the "c" got added. So things do happen to names.
      If there is a "z" associated with an "s" or a "c" you can pretty well understand that it was a Hungarian form of the name. During the Magyarization period Hungarian spellings were forced upon people. Look at Hudecz and Hudec, 7 vs 3318. More than likely many of those families dropped the "z". As far as I know there is not a formal movement to change the Hungarian spellings back to the Slovak spellings. Since the Hungarian spellings were forced on people to begin with it should not be a surprise they would change it back to the original. A more interesting answer would be "Why did they keep the Hungarian spelling?"