23093Re: [S-R] Names: Man's name change Vaclav to James

  • Michael Mojher
    Aug 3, 2009
      Janet,
      From this website: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Jacob

      Etymology
      From Late Latin Iacobus < Ancient Greek ??????? < Hebrew ???? (ya'aqov, heel-grabber) < ??? ('akev, heel of the foot). Cognate with James of the New Testament.

      Related terms
      a.. James and its variants
      a.. Jake, Jay, Jacques
      Cognate meaning a "common ancestor of origin". So it appears there is a justification for the two being exchanged.

      My apologies Joe, Jakub in Slavic languages is translated as Jacob and James.

      From: Janet Kozlay
      Sent: Monday, August 03, 2009 9:29 AM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [S-R] Names: Man's name change Vaclav to James

      However, I still don't see how that explains the enormous number of Vaclavs
      (and Hungarian Vencels) who changed their name to James. To me there are way
      too many to be merely coincidental, though I may well be wrong.

      The answer is probably found in the publication "The Americanization of
      Czech Given Names" by Dudek. Unfortunately, from what I can see it is
      available only through JSTOR, to which I am not subscribed. Perhaps a
      subscriber could look it up for us.

      Janet

      _____