      From: charles tintera
      Sent: Saturday, August 01, 2009 2:20 PM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [S-R] Names: Man's name change Vaclav to James

      Names: Man's name change Vaclav to James

      According to the St. Procopius Church Registry my father's first name was
      Vaclav at birth but on every other record that I have he is named James or
      James B.

      I have the impression that it was a common thing to change a child's name
      from a Slovak or Bohemian first name to the equivalent in American-English.

      But why that choice, what is the relation of the name "Vaclav" to the name
      "James"? They do not seem to correspond at all to me.

      Charles "Chuck" Tintera