      From: zhivago928 <ecnowacky@...>
      Subject: [S-R] New Member Introduction//Initial Questions
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, July 1, 2009, 8:12 AM

      Hello to All,

      I'm Elliott and have been researching my families history off and on for a few years now. I hoping this group may be able to help me find out more about my grandparents on my mother's side.

      My mother's parents came from the Austria-Hungary to the US in the early 20th century. Joszef Mokos (1887-1941) was from Jaslovske Bohunice, just north of Trnava. Veronika Orisek (1888 -1969) was from Drahovce just south-east of Piestany.

      Joseph and Veronika met on the ship coming to the USA and married. They initially settled in Cleveland, then moved to southwest Pennsylvania and finally settled in Wheeling West Virginia. Joszef "americanized" his name to Joseph Mokosh.

      My parents and I traveled to the two villages listed above in 1999 but we were unable to find out much due to the language barrier. We did spend a few hours with a Catholic priest in one of the villages, I think it was Drahovce. We also found one gravestone with the name Orisek on it which listed several family members.

      Here are my questions:

      1) Where is the best place for me to go to find out more about these two people BEFORE they came to the US?

      2) Is there a book(s) that describe the history of the Trnava/Peistany Area that I can purchase on the internet or through the mail?

      3) Is there anyone I could potentially hire in the Trnava/Piestany Area that does genealogy work?

      4) Do any of you here on this group have relatives that came from this same area?

      Thank you.

      Elliott
      Issaquah, WA