2281Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Re: Searching

  • John Kozakiewicz
    Aug 31, 2000
      Frank,
      Thanks for the update. The Gajdarik`s on the S.S. Death Index are uncles
      and cousins. Do not know why my G.Pa is not listed. I have his SSN and will
      call the local office to see what they can do for me.
      Also thanks for the lead to the telephone directory, would you happen to
      have the address for it?
      And thanks for the follow up on my G.Ma.

      Thanks again,
      John Kozakiewicz

      At 01:13 PM 8/31/2000 +0000, you wrote:

      >--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, John Kozakiewicz <johnkay@e...>
      >wrote:
      > > Seeking information on my grandparents, the only data I have is off
      >his
      > > death certificate and is as follows:
      > >
      > > Name: Andrew Gajdarik (could the surname been misspelled at
      >Ellis Is)
      > >
      > > Born August 7, 1877 in Czechoslovakia ( which did not exist
      >then)
      > >
      > > Died June 7, 1962 in Maspeth, Queens, NYC, NY
      > >
      > > Name Elizabeth Sabolova
      > >
      > > Born April 2, 1880 in Czechoslovakia
      > >
      > > Died February 11, 1967
      > >
      > > Last address was:
      > >
      > > 58-26 69th Lane
      > > Maspeth, Queens
      > > NYC, NY
      > >
      > > Any help would be appreciated.
      > >
      > > John Kozakiewicz
      >
      >In 1920, a newly-formed country of Czechoslovakia was created from the
      >Austrian Crownlands (Bohemia, Moravia and Austrian-Silesia) and a
      >portion of Upper-Hungary (Slovakia and Karpatho-Ukraine).
      >
      >(Until this time there was no country called "Czechoslovakia")
      >
      >8 surname Gajdarik are listed in the Social Security Death Index.
      >
      >http://ssdi.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?f3=Gajdarik&f4=&f0=&f1=&f2=&f
      >20=&advqt=%2Fsearch%2Frectype%2Fvital%2Fssdi%2Fmain.htm&db=ssdi&submit
      >423=Search&f13=&f15=&f14=&f12=&f9=&f8=&f10=&f6=&f5=&f7=
      >
      >SS began in 1937 and GF died in 1962.
      >Why wasn't he listed in the Index ?
      >
      >Gajdar can be a Slovak surname.
      >Gajdarik may be a diminutive form.
      >
      >GM's maiden name was Sabol rather than Sabolová.
      >
      >As a rule of Slovak grammar, female surnames end in -á, -ská,
      >or -ová.
      >The feminine form of the surnames is considered merely a separate form
      >of same surname, not a distinct surname in itself.
      >If surname is a noun in form or origin the suffix -ová is added to
      >it,
      >So Mrs. or Miss Sabolová, family name Sabol.
      >
      >Probably 2000-3000 Sabol surname bearers just in the U.S.
      >
      >The Slovakia telephone directory lists 1 surname Gajdarik under
      >Bradejov in eastern Slovakia.
      >Directory also lists 2 surnames under Janovce, Slovakia.
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic