22760RE: [S-R] Szarka/Krizsek

  • Janet Kozlay
    Jun 12, 2009
      In addition to Michael's information, the Hungarian spelled Szarka and
      Slovak spelled Sarka are both relatively common in the Slovak phone
      directory (168 and 127, respectively; also, 75 Szarkovas and 29 Sarkovas).
      They are even more common in the Hungarian phone directory-both spellings
      occur in Hungary in excess of 500 entries. To confuse the issue even
      further, if you look at the census records for 1910 and 1920, where country
      of birth and language spoken are both listed, there is no strong correlation
      between spelling and language spoken. That is, you will find Szarkas
      speaking Slovak and Sarkas speaking Hungarian. In addition, you will find
      mixed families where the husband spoke one language and the wife the other.
      In truth, many immigrants from historic Hungary were at least bilingual and
      probably most commonly spoke the language of the neighborhood in which they
      settled.

      The fact that Szarka (and Szarkova) is found more frequently than Sarka (and
      Sarkova) suggests, but does not prove, that it may have Hungarian origins.
      The name means magpie in both languages.

      If this is an important issue for you, I suggest that you find the U.S.
      census records for the family and see what language they reported using.

      In contrast, Krizsek/Krizek is quite rare in Hungary (Krizsek 7 phone
      directory entries, Krizek 1 entry).

      Janet

      _____