      From: Paul Sabol
      Sent: Thursday, June 04, 2009 4:50 PM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [S-R] Surname help

      I need some assistance with surnames in Slovakia. I'm almost 100% certain my g-g-grandmother was Maria Fecso who married Andrej Sabol back in the old country (Sosujfalu). Her father was Mathias Fecso according to the local parish register.

      Two of their sons, John and Andrew (Americanized spelling) immigrated to America in 1885. Fast forward to 1914 and Andrew dies in Yonkers, NY. On the death certificate it lists his mother's maiden name as Maria Mathias.

      Did the Slovak culture do anything weird with female surnames where Maria might have been born a Fecso but carried her father's name as her maiden name?

      If I didn't explain it well let me know and I'll try again.