22607Re: Sur Name FEDORIS/FEDORISHIN/FEDORISKY and KEREKES

  • genmom4
    May 3, 2009
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "dovetail9" <Pamela.Albicocco@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello - I'm new to this. I'm trying very hard to find my Dad's family.
      > know his father, Andrew FEDORIS (or FEDORISHIN or FEDORISKY or
      > FIDORISKY) emigrated from the Bratislava area around 1906 and his
      > mother, Anna KEREKES emigrated from, I think, Megaston Hungary (I
      don't
      > even know if Megaston exists). She came over around 1910. They both
      came
      > over through Philadelphia and settled in the Poconos.
      We need some more info here. How old were they when they came over? Do
      you think that they knew each other prior to immigrating?
      The Poconos covers a huge area of PA. Can you give more specifics of
      exactly they set up residence?
      If you know where they lived, you should be able to find them on the
      1920 and 1930 censuses. That might shed some light.
      If Andrew naturalized, you should be able to find his naturalization
      papers.
      He should be listed in the WWI draft. His name would be on a draft
      card, which would list where he came from.
      Give some more specifics, and there is a strong possibility that we can
      help work you backwards a bit further.
      Also, do you know where they were married? In Philadelphia or in "the
      Poconos"?
      I don't know where you live, but if you live in PA, you can access
      Ancestry Library edition at your local library, and you should be able
      to find the Philadephia Manifestst that way.

      > They both died around 1933, before Social Security, so I don't have
      that
      > much information. I know that they both had brothers and sisters.
      Andrew
      > FEDORIS was Greek Byzatinne Catholic, Rite. His fathers name was
      Peter,
      > and his brothers name was John. Anna KEREKES, I believe was Roman
      > Catholic. Her fathers name may have been Janos.
      >
      > That is all I know. Any information you can provide will be SO
      > appreciated. I'm just so happy I found this link. My Dad is the last
      of
      > his 11 brothers and sisters. They were all orphaned in 1933, and
      > amazingly stayed in touch. I have a lot of cousins to report back to.
      >
      > Thanks again for any help!!
      >
      > Pamela Albicocco

      Barbara