22590RE: [S-R] Searching for information on my ggm Mary MATKO MEHAL

    May 2, 2009
      Traditionally "Maria" was the most common baptismal variant in the region.

      -----Original Message-----
      From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of gjederman
      Sent: Saturday, May 02, 2009 7:53 PM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [S-R] Searching for information on my ggm Mary MATKO MEHAL

      Bill, Initially I searched the manifests (they're hard on the eyeballs!) for
      "Mehal" or anything similar, during the year the census says the arrived.
      Then I started searching for a Mehal with a wife and one child. It will
      have to be and ongoing effort because the only thing close (man, wife,
      child) was written in hand writing that I couldn't make out the woman's name
      - Mary. BTW do you know if Mary is Maria in Slovak? We have no info yet on
      any return trips to Slovakia. I'm looking into the "border" possibility.

      Was Slovakia predominately Catholic? Thanks. G

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Tarkulich" <bill.tarkulich@...>
      wrote:

      > Welcome to the group "G",
      >
      > MATKO - We need to get the village of origin. Let's consider sources.
      > First reaction is to check the Slovakia Phonebook. What I find however is
      > that surname dispersed throughout the country.
      > Second thought is to look at ellisisland.org. Hmm. Problem with
      manifests
      > before 1890 is that they are not very detailed. Nothing comes up with
      that.
      > Next thought is immigration records. Were they ever naturalized?
      > Next, other travel records. Did they ever return?
      > Looking at children's birth records for village of parents. Won't be
      found
      > on a "certificate" but is often found in the church books. Were all
      > children born in the states?
      >
      > Another possibility is to look in the Slovakia phone books for MEHAL and
      > MATKO, and try to locate both names in one geographic area. Did MEHAL
      > family ever travel back to Europe? Did other family or villagers ever
      come
      > to visit them or move to the states? Often families had boarders (US
      > Census) and these are often people they knew before. Tracing them often
      > finds clues.
      >
      > Here are even more ideas where to look for the village name:
      > http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ancestral_village.htm
      >
      > What other research sources have you exhausted already?
      >
      > All my resource links mentioned above here here
      > http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/toolbox.htm
      > Other pages explain how to use them as can most of the members here.
      >
      > Regards and Good Luck,
      >

      > Bill Tarkulich
      >
      > p.s., with Ellis, be certain to try name variations.

      On
      > Behalf Of gjederman
      > Sent: Friday, May 01, 2009 8:00 PM
      > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [S-R] Searching for information on my ggm Mary Matko
      >
      > Hi, this is my first post, I'm new to the group. I joined to see if I can
      > learn more about my family and their Slovak culture. I'm focusing on my
      > ggm, Mary Matko, 1863-1949. She married John Mehal o/a 1881 and they
      > immigrated to the States o/a 1890 (but it could have been earlier
      depending
      > on which census we're looking at) with one daughter Annie, 1888-1987.
      They
      > settled in Snyder Township, Jefferson Co, PA. They were Catholic.
      >
      > What I don't know:
      > -What village she came from. Presumably her husband came from the same or
      > nearby village.
      > -Was her maiden name actually spelled "Matko"
      >
      > What I'm almost certain of:
      > - Her husband's last name "Mehal" was anglicized o/a the time of
      > immigration. The 1910 census uses the Mehal spelling.
      >
      > The reason I'm focusing on Mary Matko is because there seem to be fewer
      > variations of the Matko name spelling. But the pre-immigration spelling
      > possibilities for Mehal are numerous.
      >
      > If anyone has any recommendations, similar experiences, or a Matko or
      Mehal