22100RE: [S-R] Re: Family Research Lohan/Lohin

  • Janet Kozlay
    Mar 2, 2009
      Dear Maryrose,

      I found the immigration record for Julia. Her family name was Lohin and she
      has two arrivals through Ellis Island.

      (1) Julia, age 17, arrived on May 30, 1910, destination her brother “Majk”
      in Perth Amboy, NJ. (“Majk” is a phonetic rendering of “Mike.”) She was from
      Horlyó in Ung megye (county), a little east of Ungvar (Uzhorod). Today the
      village is named Chudlovo (or Khudlovo) in Ukraine.

      “Majk” immigrated in 1906 to Perth Amboy NJ and can be found under the
      spelling “Mihaly Lehm.” His destination was his uncle, Janos Grugovanicz(?)
      in Perth Amboy.

      She was accompanied by Gyorgy Lohin, 46, also from Horlyó. His destination
      was Pottsville PA. He had left his wife, Anna, behind in Horlyó. He had a
      son, also Gyorgy, in Heckschersville. He had been here previously,
      1905-1908, in Williamstown PA.

      (2) Julia came again on March 29, 1913, this time to her brother George in
      Heckschersville PA. This suggests that Julia was the daughter of Gyorgy and
      Anna as well as brother of George.

      Unfortunately, I do not see that the church records from Horlyó have been
      filmed.

      The 1930 census for Cass PA shows a large family headed by John and Bertha
      Lohin. Though surely this family was related, the relationship is not
      specified.

      While this may give you a few more pieces of your puzzle, it isn’t much help
      in tracing your family back in Hungary/Ukraine. This probably would require
      a professional there.

      Janet

      _____

      From: Janet Kozlay <kozlay@verizon. <mailto:kozlay%40verizon.net> net>
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, February 28, 2009, 8:48 AM

      There were nine Hungarians who immigrated through Ellis Island by the name
      of Lohan. They were all from Szatmar county, now in Romania.

      Did Charles marry after he immigrated? Is he the Charles Simko who is in the
      WWII registration as living in "Heckshersville PA" (probably Hockersville) ?
      He was born in 1894 and his wife's name was Julia.

      _____

      From: johnqadam@rogers. <mailto:johnqadam% 40rogers. com> com
      <johnqadam@rogers. <mailto:johnqadam% 40rogers. com> com>
      Subject: [S-R] Re: Family Research
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK- ROOTS%40yahoogro ups.com> yahoogroups. com
      Date: Friday, February 27, 2009, 10:14 PM

      >>> The only information that I have at this point is that his
      grandfathers name was Charles Sinko and grandmothers was Julia Lohan <<<

      Lohan is supposed to be a Slovak name? Most are Irish on Ellis Island
      listings.

      Sinko is a possibility. Born when approx? Arrived when approx? Lived
      where upon arrival?

      BASIC RESEARCH HELP
      For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's excellent
      site at http://www.iabsi com/gen/public/