21765Re: Lipyanic - Strihorviski

  • Carl Kotlarchik
    Jan 27, 2009
      Peter Nagy's suggestion that the town's name is really Pecovskonoves
      makes sense. The town was formerly called Pecsujfalu when it was
      part of Hungary. I found immigration records from Pecsujfalu of
      individuals named Lipjanecz (which would be Lipjanec in Slovak)but
      unfortunately none with a first name similiar to Matis or Irene.
      Still, this is probably the right town and would be worth obtaining
      the church records for it from the LDS Family History Center.
      good luck,

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "sanbreezy" <sandra@...> wrote:
      > Hello, I'm a new member, and excited to communicate with others
      > myself, searching for genealogy. Hoping that maybe I could find
      > information about my family. I would appreciate any resources,
      > suggestions you can give me. My grandfather and grandmother
      > immigrated to USA and settled in Saylorsburg, Rose Township,
      > Pennsylvania. USA census from 1920/1930 indicate grandfather,
      > (Matis) Lipyanic, born 2/8/1888 immigrated in 1904 or 1907
      > years on both) to PA. Grandmother, Irene H Strihorviski, born 1888
      > immigrated same dates to AL. I was trying to find passenger lists
      > from ports of Phillidaphia, but I'm not sure that's the way to go?
      > My resources are running out. Tried Ancestry.com and others on
      > internet, but have had no luck. I have a document that indicates my
      > grandfathers place of birth is Bicoskonovoves, country
      > CzeckoSlavakia. Also, seen on census documents, Slovakland and
      > Czechoslovak and both spoke Slovak. Grandmother never spoke much
      > English, my father said. She died at a young age in late 40's, I
      > think. My father passed away in 1982 and although he is one of
      > children. The only other information I have found is grandfather
      > have brother George and changed spelling of last name to Lipyanik,
      > grandmother may have sister Bertha, but both are not confirmed. My
      > father was only child that moved out of PA, and we still reside in
      > Michigan and still have contact with relations in PA . I'm looking
      > for any roots from my grandparents. I can't find anything on
      > of Birth) Bicoskonovoves, like it doesn't exist? My questions are:
      > These surnames; Where do they come from? How to find documents
      > Where were my grandparents born? Documents that confirm when they
      > came to USA; there parents, brothers and sisters? Thank you so
      > for your time and your website SLOVAK-ROOTS.
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic