21270Newbie here to say hello

  • momsbeenscrappin
    Jan 1, 2009
      Hello all and Happy New Year from New Jersey, USA! My name is Doris and
      I'm interested in doing some research on my grandparents Stephen and
      Anna Peller Schmaus. It took me many years to find them in the Ellis
      Island records, and from here is the only information I have of their
      life before the US:
      Stefan Schmausz born in May 1883 in Nagylevard Hungary, but lists his
      ethnicity as Slovakian. I can't read the town/village he last resided
      in on the manifest. His wife Anna Smaus and daughter Antonia joined
      him 4 months later, and their ship manifests indicate the same. As I'm
      sure was common, there are two different spellings of the last name.
      When they came to the US, they settled first in Hoboken NJ, then to
      Jersey City, NJ and always used the spelling of Schmaus.

      What I would like to know is what this village may be called now and
      how to go about locating some birth or marriage documents.

      I look forward to reading your suggestions, help and direction.

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic