21185Re: [S-R] UPDATE on symbols

  • Julie Michutka
    Dec 5, 2008
      The symbol I've sometimes seen in Slovak records (hmm, think it was in
      the Latin section) was what appeared to be two zeros or two letter "O"
      side by side, with a single horizontal line through the pair of them.
      I've never understood what that symbol might be based on, eg developed
      from an abbreviation of some sort? or why a symbol was used; as these
      are not symbol-laden records as it sounds like you are encountering.

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...

      On Dec 5, 2008, at 11:48 AM, Ben Sorensen wrote:

      > HI Bill et al.
      > I didn't realize that this was on the Slovak Roots site, and I am
      > sure many didn't. Very sorry.
      >
      > I wanted to throw out an update with the notations that I had asked
      > about before- I figured them out.
      >
      > Each entry I found with |0| or # was followed by "spuria..." These
      > symbols can signify, then, ILLEGITIMATACY of the children, and may
      > even refer to children born outside of a contemporary marriage!
      >
      > I don't know if you will ever see these in your documents, but I
      > figured that I would give you all a "heads up." If, however, you see
      > a #/, this just means "child of..."
      >
      > Take care you all....
      > Ben

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic