21157[S-R] Re: church transcription question

  • Ludovit
    Dec 1, 2008
      Ben,

      I understand. It is correctly noted as Milcova, but I thought it was
      strange that they would include Milec in the notation. The widow
      theory seems to fit given the discussion so far. I feel pretty
      fortunate that the church would consider sending that document to me.
      It did help when my cousin from Bratislava emailed the guy and he was
      very eager to help. He even asked questions about my great aunts that
      were not included in the document but were born there. For instance
      he had (church data boss) prior information that there were
      additional children born here in the states after my family left(my
      grandfather for one), so that would seem to indicate that my great-
      grand parents kept in touch. Just an interesting side note.

      Thanks,
      Ludovit

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...>
      wrote:

      > I guess I meant that keeping the Slovak tradition of -ova or -sky
      to-ska may help you more than trying to move it into a masculine form
      when you see it. It is a church document? Therefore, it may be Latin-
      with the Milec for clarification. Usually the RC church kept (and
      keeps) records in Latin.  My records in Slovakia are in Latin, in
      fact....
      > However, if it is a Lutheran church, I am going to bank on Slovak
      or German records....
      > Ben
      >

      > ________________________________

      listed Milec because it was available in the document. It is in
      reference to a female ancestor so yes Milcova is correct. The "e" was
      an accented "c" so that is correct. Some how my copy/paste was
      corrupted by my yahoo maybe. Thanks for the possible meaning of vdova
      Alan. The fact that Selcani is a name is helpful. It's interesting /a
      little/ that the church bothered to put the masculine surname with
      her. Perhaps to note her late husbands surname without question?

      > This document that the church sent is available in my folder here
      in the group, title- Leporis_family_ church_record. doc. Feel free to
      eke out what you can. BTW, the language is Slovak, eastern dialect.