20864RE: [S-R] anyone currently in Vitaz?

  • Lisa Marzonie
    Nov 1, 2008
      Thanks, David. As I mentioned, these are not our direct relatives, they are "cousins of cousins." My husband had a whirlwind trip to Slovakia with 3 of his cousins---they are Jencas(fem. Jencova) and Jenca descendants. (Some of them in the U.S. now have the name Yancho--a slight corruption.) He met the Jozef Jenca family in Vitaz. We're in touch with one of their children (she has internet access because she is in school) and just learned they are having a special 50th birthday celebration for Jozef Jenca. We thought it would be nice and a BIG surprise if we sent something---at least a greeting.
      My husband's family was actually Macura (I'm not certain if that's supposed to be MaÇura---I think it is pronounced "matzura" or "Makzura") Anyway, they were from Sarriske Jastrabie. I haven't been able to find much information on them beyond what we know of their life here in the U.S. I obviously don't speak Slovak or Hungarian. (I haven't a drop of Slovak blood.), but I'm doing my best. I love the Slovak Roots group...I've learned a great deal from reading the posts. We'd like to go to Slovakia sometime...I was just finishing cancer treatment and didn't make the first trip. Unfortunately, with the economy the way it is, I think it will be quite awhile before we can do any travel...even domestic. We still have a couple of boys to get through college. This spring it will be "4 down, 2 to go." (One of those 2 thinks he wants to go to medical school, if that's still possible for a white middle class male.) Anyway, I think my research will need to focus on the area of Sarriske Jastrabie, unless we find indicators that the Macuras migrated there from elsewhere. I don't know if they were landowners. It appears there may have been some nobility in some branches of the family, but I haven't found out any more. (One of the names is a sort of "give away"---a woman with 4 names, I think was uncommon among the common people...we have a Ilona Carolina Paulina "Baronkay" (this may not be the original spelling of Baronkay). I think they were from "Ung, Megye," and some of their ancestral towns are now in the Ukraine. (Ugh!) There are also the following names: Pogan/Pogany, Fogarshay and Karol/Karoly. I don't know where they were all from. Our name is obviously corrupted---how they went from Macura to Marzonie is beyond us! We asked my husband's grandmother when she was still alive if she wanted to have it changed back to Macura, and she declined. She, however, was a Carol/Karol/Karoly. Well, I'm getting very long winded and must prepare a birthday dinner. As of today, we have only one "teenager" left, our next oldest son is now 20.
      BLessings,
      Lisa Marzonie

      "We have been called to heal wounds, to unite what has fallen apart and to bring home those who have lost their way." St. Francis of Assisi

      ________________________________
      > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      > From: david1law@...
      > Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 15:25:36 -0400
      > Subject: Re: [S-R] anyone currently in Vitaz?
      >

      > Hi Lisa:
      >
      > My ancestors are from VITAZ. The names below are in my direct lineage, but
      > I've also done a lot of research on the extended families in the SIROKE
      > parish which includes VITAZ, OVCIE, and DOLINA. I look forward to hearing from
      > you. Please feel free to write me directly.
      >
      > Best regards,
      >
      > David Michael Baloga
      >
      > Researching: BALOGA (BALOG, BALOGH), BELAK, CUJ (CSUJ) HAMRAK, HARBALY,
      > HARENCAR, HRONEC, HVIZDOS, JURASKO, KAFFAN, KISSEL, KOVALCIK, KREDATUS, ONDERCIN,
      > RUSBACKY, TKACS, TOMASOV (and variant spellings thereof) in SARIS County
      > (villages of VITAZ, OVCIE, DOLINA, and SIROKE), in SPIS (villages of SPISSKE
      > VLACHY, KLUKNAVA, RICHNAVA, KALAVA, VITAZ, OVCIE, DOMANOVCE, SPISSKE HRHOV,
      > STARY SMOKOVEC (MLYNICA), and in GEMER County (village of ROZNAVA, BRZOTIN, and
      > surrounding area)
      >
      > **************Plan your next getaway with AOL Travel. Check out Today's Hot
      > 5 Travel Deals!
      > (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212416248x1200771803/aol?redir=http://travel.aol.com/discount-travel?ncid=emlcntustrav00000001)

      When your life is on the go—take your life with you.
      http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/115298558/direct/01/
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic