      From: bill.tarkulich@... <bill.tarkulich@...>
      Subject: RE: [S-R] primary American sources
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, August 7, 2008, 3:53 PM

      Your prof is trying to limit you to the sources at his hand. that is, the
      FHL.
      He is also taking the easy way out.
      I've already made my opinion known about IGI. I would treat it as a clue,
      but never as authority.

      I have written extensively about birth sources.
      http://www.iabsi. com/gen/public/ ancestral_ village.htm

      With regard to immigration records, the US did not legislate collection of
      detailed data until 1904.
      Look at any manifest before or after 1904 to see the difference. Before
      1904, America accepted most people with open arms (discrimination after
      arrival notwithstanding. )

      with regard to death records - dreadfully inaccurate. It may be working
      for your specific lineage, but I would not bet one crown upon it. Death
      information in the USA is never verified or validated on death
      certificates, except in extenuating circumstances (murder, imprisonment,
      war, etcetera.)

      Bill Tarkulich

      On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 06:06:58 -0700 (PDT), Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@yahoo. com>
      wrote:

      > Hello all,
      >
      > In my studies, I am finding that American sources are very wanting in
      > finding original locations, and very often I find the "place of birth" or
      > "from" box reading "Germany" or another country- obviously, in this
      country
      > there wasn't much importance given to exact locations. My prof (who is
      LDS)