20413Re: New & researching Zemplen Abauj area

  • lisa elzeini
    Jul 9 5:40 PM
      Hi! Maxine,

      You asked if I had Gulyassy in my family.

      My great grandfather came to America as Janos Gulyas, but on his naturaliztion papers it was Janos Gujas. Today it is written Gulish. (also was Gulosh when my mom was young)
      And curious thing is, I recently discovered another way it was spelled. After your last response I happen to re-look at the 1930 Census for Perth Amboy and the name was written as Gulissy. On the document he hand writing is sloppy and I never paid full attention to it.

      I don't know much about the cemetery of St. John the Baptist Orthodox Church. Last year I tried to find my great grandfather DZSUPINKA's (JUPINKA) grave but couldn't locate it. I tried to contact the church via telephone to inquire about records but had no luck at that either. Maybe in the fall I will try again.

      My family in Perth Amboy started out on Goodwin Street and also Sherman Street.
      Later one of my Aunt Clara lived on Louis Street Hopelawn near the cemetery we are speaking of. Also my Uncle John lived on Howard Street Hopelawn. I, myself, grew up close to the Hopelawn border with Perth Amboy-- Harding Ave.

      Lisa