      From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of Janet Kozlay
      Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2008 6:46 PM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [S-R] Re: New member or oldie coming back

      Hi Jim,

      The spelling change was NOT done by an "immigration guy in NY." There was no
      part of the immigration process where this could have happened, despite many
      anecdotal stories to the contrary and your father's report. He would not
      even have been asked what his name was. It was written on the ship manifest,
      prepared at the port of embarkation in Europe, and U.S. officials were not
      permitted to change any spellings.

      Lokca is not under water. Check it out at MapQuest.

      I presume that your grandfather was Andreas Mudron Feja who immigrated in
      1910 from Hrustin, Arva megye. Note on the map how close Hrustin is to
      Lokca.

      Janet

      http://www.eset.com