19818RE: [S-R] Need Icon pictures!

  • helene cincebeaux
    Apr 9 6:47 PM
      hi Bill - i agree about the incredible icons in this
      remote region - some 200 years old or more -I was told
      these are very special as they are not so stylized as
      the more formal city icons - but reflect the faces of
      the village people.

      I visited an icon museum in Sanok, Poland and found a
      lot of similarities with the icons i saw in the remote
      wooden churches in eastern Slovakia. As i understand
      it there was a school of icon painters there.

      My all time favorite is a very large icon that shows
      devils tempting sleeping people and the ones they
      caught are being marched to hell on a huge red Mamon's
      tongue!

      Don't miss the icon museum in Bardejov- it is totally
      wonderful with the ancient icons, the carved gates and
      the only iconostatsis inside a museum in the world!

      Then head for the countryside to see some icons in
      their original homes - you can't failed to be moved by
      the tiny doorways - thinking of my favorite one that
      has roses painted around it and even the shortest
      person has to duck; the atmosphere of holiness and the
      prayers of hundreds of years surround you. It's magic!

      helene

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic