19790Re: [S-R] David (the name): odd question

  • gklodzen@aol.com
    Apr 4, 2008
      In a message dated 4/3/2008 8:35:52 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      jmm@... writes:

      Weird question of the day: has anyone else who has worked their way
      through Slovak village records noticed that the name "David" is
      usually a male who was born illegitimate? I know Vladimir B. has
      mentioned in the past that illegitimate children were often given
      unusual names, but David doesn't strike me as unusual...think King
      David in the Bible... Maybe it's this particular village's favorite
      name for illegitimate boys?? (I do see other odd names for these
      boys, but David pops up over and over.)

      Julie, I've noticed that Stephen (Istvan in the Hungarian) is another
      relatively uncommon given name. Probably coincidence, but in my own research the
      Stephen in question was also listed as "Illegitimate". If his and other parents
      in similar circumstances, for whatever reason (I make no moral judgements)
      were not married at the time of these births, in the eyes of the Roman
      Catholic Church their children were considered "Illegitimate", or "born out of
      wedlock". That's somewhat different today for sure, and a lot less condemning
      then in our ancestors time.

      Eugene Klodzen