19532RE: [S-R] Searching for Palko and Savislo

  • Janet Kozlay
    Feb 11, 2008
      Dear Dorothy,

      Welcome to the group.

      You can find these villages on the old map of Ung county at
      http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/ung.jpg. Szurte is in Nagykapos
      district and Kisgejocz is in Ungvar district. Yes, these villages are quite
      close together.

      It seems that Ukraine is beginning to open its records for LDS microfilming,
      though it may take a while before they become available.

      It would appear that neither Kisgejocz nor Szurte had churches of their own.
      For Kisgejocz, Roman Catholic records would be found in Kis-Rat; Greek
      Catholic ones in Kereknye. For Szurte, the Roman Catholic records likewise
      would be with Kis-Rat, while the Greek Catholic ones are with Palagy.

      You are also correct that in Hungarian the surname is placed first. Thus,
      Palko Ferenc is Frank Palko. You see this consistently in that list, with
      given names Istvan, Gyorgy, etc.

      We all wish you the best in your search.

      Janet

      _____