19531Searching for Palko and Savislo

  • Dorothy L Fitts
    Feb 11 11:43 AM
      Hello:

      I am new to the group. I have been gradually piecing together my paternal
      grandparents genealogy. I have found one of the families in Osturna,
      Slovakia After looking at what you are doing and that it is a genealogy
      group I am so glad that I joined. Now I am looking for Julia Palko who was
      born in Szurte, Ung Megye, at that time it may have been in Hungary. I
      finally found the village listed on the following web site:
      http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~oldhungaryvillages/Kisgejocz/
      It was 3 miles from Szurte. It was also south of Ungvar which I believe is
      now Uzhorod. Is this correct? There are Palkos listed on the above web site.
      (I thought Palko might be an uncommon name but at least it isn't Smith or
      Jones.) If you look at the names on that web site it seems that Palko is
      listed as the given name. I read somewhere that they put the family name
      first. Is this true?

      Szurte was in Czechoslovakia when Julia came to the US in 1902. Ann Savislo
      was a cousin that she came to in New York City. Can someone tell me, now
      that the village is in Ukraine, has the name changed. I see Strumkovka. Does
      anyone know if it is the same place?

      Thank you for any help you may be able to give me. This quest has bee like
      putting together a jig saw puzzle.
      Dorothy
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic