      From: William F Brna
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, February 03, 2008 4:50 PM
      Subject: Re: [S-R] Name Change

      Of course, if he lived in Massachusetts rather than New Jersey, the
      answer is obvious. That's the way that a final "a" is pronounced, e. g.,
      Cuba is pronounced Cuber.

      Bill Brna

      On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 00:27:14 -0000 "Dennis and Donna"
      <ddhalusker@...> writes:
      That is interesting. I never heard it explained in such a way.

      I guess then that is that. Unless others can further share a story or

      - In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, MILAN HUBA <illy@...> wrote:
      > After coming to America, my maternal grandfather changed the
      spelling of this name at least four times. This was done
      informally...he just started signing his name differently. The
      various name changes are reflected on various documents including the
      birth certificates of his children.
      > In his case, he was trying to retain the original European
      pronunciation of his name. If he retained the European spelling, his
      name would have been pronounced or would have sounded differently in
      English. Each time he changed the spelling of his name, he was
      refining the process, trying to get the English spelling even closer
      to the correct European sound.
      > It is perfectly legal to unofficially change your name unless of
      course this is done with the intent to defraud someone else.