18673Re: My Slovak Roots

  • johnqadam
    Oct 29, 2007
      ELLIS ISLAND LISTINGS
      I use the Morse front end, Gold Form, for researching Ellis Island
      entries. http://www.stevemorse.org/

      You can use just a few letters for the name or village and check off
      several language choices, eg: Hungarian, Slovak, Ruthenian. Be aware
      that transcription errors abound and so you should always look at the
      manifest, which often has two pages.

      I searched Baskovce and found >>>OVAD<<< on Ellis Island.

      Then I went to Slovak phone listings.

      Ovad Milan Baškovce 78, Baškovce
      Ovad Pavol Baškovce 84, Baškovce
      Ovadová Mária Baškovce 33, Baškovce

      These instances of OVAD(OVA) are in Baskovce north of Sobrance
      (former Ung Megye). Cisarik also shows Ovad(ova) in Baskovce north of
      Sobrance.

      This is beginning to look like a contender.
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic