18143Re: Score! Finally verified place of birth for my great-grandfather.

  • jmellicant
    Sep 6, 2007
      Thanks, I already found this...

      http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~bakerroots/1870.html

      with a few Melikants in it.

      The person who did this research listed these (below) microfilm reels
      as sources. Fortunately, there's a LDS reading room within a mile from
      where I live. I just have to get off my "duff" and request them.

      Film #1739642
      Item 10
      Krsteni (Baptisms) 1697-1698, 1703-1752
      Sobaseni (Marriages) 1703-1753
      Zomreli (Deaths) 1715-1723

      Film #1739643
      Items 1-2
      Krsteni (Baptisms) 1751-1753, 1754-1843, 1852
      Sobaseni (Marriages) 1754-1843, 1852
      Zomreli (Deaths) 1723-1753, 1754-1842, 1842-1843, 1852

      Film #1739643
      Items 3-6
      Krsteni (Baptisms) 1844-1852, 1852-1868
      Sobaseni (Marriages) 1844-1852
      Zomreli (Deaths) 1844-1852

      Film #1739644 Entire Film
      Krsteni (Baptisms) 1868-1894
      Sobaseni (Marriages) 1852-1883
      Zomreli (Deaths) 1852-1883

      Film #1739645
      Items 1-2
      Sobaseni (Marriages) 1883-1896
      Zomreli (Deaths) 1883-1896

      > Austria Hungary Empire. . . . born in 1874 and immigrated to
      > the US in 1894. . . . Iglo, Austria as his place of birth . . .
      > I speculated that he came from Olsse, Slovakia near Spisska Nova Ves.
      > <<<
      >
      > When searching for genealogical information, knowing the birth
      > village is paramount because records are organized by village not
      > nationally, so it is not possible to search on a national basis. It
      > is also necessary to know the >>>religion<<<.
      >
      > Let's focus on PLACE and not NAME.
      >
      > Iglo = Spisske Nova Ves may be close or even actual. 8km EsE is the
      > tiny village of Ols'a, which may be the actual family base. On the
      > 1910 Szepes Megye = county map it shows as Olosbanya.
      > http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/szepes.jpg
      >
      > The church records for Ols'a are probably found with Markusovce.
      >
      > So, we are looking for a birth in 1874 in the _______________
      > religion church records of either Spisska Nova Ves or Markusovce.
      >
      > To locate church records for Slovakia, knowing the village/town name,
      > go to the LDS web site:
      > www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp The church
      > records cover baptisms (krsteni), marriages (sobeseni) and deaths
      > (zomreli).
      >
      > LOCATE YOUR NEAREST FAMILY HISTORY CENTER AND ORDER FILM
      > You can go to the LDS web site to locate your nearest Family History
      > Center (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. You will need to
      > go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the film
      > will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your research.
      >
      > If you want to see who lived in Markusovce in 1869, check the cnesus
      > film:
      > Márkus-Csépánfalu (Markušovce) Film #2149898 Item 3
      >
      > Good luck.

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic