      From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of jmellicant
      Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2007 12:10 PM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [S-R] Score! Finally verified place of birth for my
      great-grandfather.

      First I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Jim Mellicant. I've
      just developed the "genealogy bug" about a month ago (thirty years too
      late, afaic) and I've been lurking here for about that time.

      My family name originally (at least in the US) was Mellikant but my
      father's birth certificate had an improper spelling and because he
      grew up in a foster home the name stuck.

      Because of the circumstances of my father's childhood we have very
      little info regarding his family. The few things I did know was the
      country of origin may have been a town called Olshow somehere in the
      Austria Hungary Empire. I have been able to piece together some info
      online but would welcome any advice anyone may have to offer.

      My great-grandfather's name was John Valentine Mellikant and he was
      born in 1874 and immigrated to the US in 1894. He settled in Chicago
      and married Mary Hrisz who also immigrated to the US but in 1896 (from
      exactly where I don't yet know).

      Today I learned that he put Iglo, Austria as his place of birth on his
      WWI Draft Registration Card. (My father visited the National Archives
      office in Chicago yesterday and got the record.)

      Prior to this, from online research, I speculated that he came from
      Olsse, Slovakia near Spisska Nova Ves. There are many existing
      Melikant's in the area (original family name spelling?) and from some
      other "Melikant" documents I've found on the web this looked
      promising. I have been able to associate Iglo and Spisska Nova Ves
      online so I think there is a definite connection.

      As I said I'd appreciate any comments or observations anyone my want
      to toss my way. Thanks.