17228Re: [S-R] Traveling in Czech and Slovakia

  • J. Michutka
    Jun 7 10:48 AM
      At 10:07 PM 6/6/2007, you wrote:
      >Can you recommend any places to stay? Towns we could possibly stay
      >in would be Prague, Bratislava, Kosice.

      We tried two places in Bratislava last summer (we were in Bratislava 3 times).

      Hotel Kyjev http://www.kyjev-hotel.sk/en/index.html is right by the
      Tesco store and just about across the street from the old city (stare
      mesto), so the location is great. The hotel was probably quite nice
      in 1960s, but is tired-looking today, which means *cheap* for the
      location! We took one of the budget rooms, which meant no TV or
      radio. The room was very shabby but clean, and clean was what was
      most important to me. (My daughter saw one of the hotel brochures
      and said it had pictures of nicer rooms.) Some English-speakers
      among the staff, and I kept hearing English-speaking guests. The
      restaurant has a very good breakfast spread. I'd stay there again,
      maybe even pay for the non-budget room (the reason I took a room on
      the budget floor was that I didn't want to hear TV or radio from
      neighboring rooms at odd hours of the night). I know Helene has also
      chosen to stay there.

      Penzion pod Pyramidou http://www.penzionpodpyramidou.sk/indexEN.html
      is about a 15-20 minute walk further away from the old city, under a
      big inverted pyramid building (hence the name, "under the pyramid"),
      which makes it easy to find. Small place, looks like a pub but they
      have maybe 8 rooms. Price range comparable to Kyjev; maybe it was a
      little cheaper because it was further away, I don't remember off the
      top of my head. I was worried about night-time pub-style noises
      bothering us, but there is a heavy door between the pub and the
      rooms, and we heard nothing. (Actually, I never saw too many people
      in the pub; seems like a quiet place.) There was no English-speaking
      staff when I was there, but others have had better luck. The
      breakfast spread looks small, but that's because it's set out for so
      few people--there's actually good variety in it. Room was nicer than
      Kyjev, clean, pretty basic nothing fancy. Restaurant with outdoor
      (under awning) seating is attached, it was good.

      If I were going back tomorrow, I'd probably go to Kyjev for the
      convenient location.

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic