16906[S-R] Re: looking for Velky Rakovicz

  • pdbennett_52
    Apr 26, 2007
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Rich Custer <rcuster@...> wrote:
      > Well, now this becomes somewhat clearer.
      > Michael Juhasz of the Greek Catholic Union was
      > absolutely born in Rakovec nad Ondavou in Zemplen
      > County, not Velykyj Rakovec in Ugocsa county. Many
      > of the early leaders of the Greek Catholic Union
      > were also from villages around Vranov and Trebisov,
      > yet despite this being Slovak ethnographic territory
      > today, they called themselves Rusins /
      > Carpatho-Russians.
      > If the GCU used as their reference for _Opportunity
      > Realized_ the "Ethnographic Map of Uhro-Rus', 1906"
      > by Andrew Perejda and distributed by the Byzantine
      > Catholic Eparchy of Passaic, that explains the
      > discrepancy in the village name as stated in
      > _Opportunity Realized_. That map is riddled with
      > errors as far as the village names are concerned.

      Rich, thanks for this confirmation! Your map reference sounds like
      it is indeed the one being referred to, although I can't be certain
      until I receive copies of the documentation now in the mail.

      Michael Juhasz (Yuhasz) was very active in the Greek Catholic Union
      in the early 1900s, and served in many exective positions, including
      president. May I ask the source of your information about his
      birthplace? I'm not doubting you -- rather I just want to document my
      sources for future reference. I really do appreciate your help in
      resolving this!

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic