16819Re: Sumiac - Slovak travel

  • bhewlett@verizon.net
    Apr 13 1:22 PM
      Karen,
      It is best to address the letter to the Slovak Republic, even president Bush does not know the difference between Slovakia and Slovenia - this way there is no confusion.

      He offers very good advise about hiring someone to pave the way for you with contacting your relatives in advance. Especially since one has no way of knowing if they would want to meet their US distant cousins or not, and if so, if they speak English. Also, having someone to take you around when you are there takes away a lot of stress. Driving in a foreign country can be a bit nerve wracking, especially one that makes 3 lanes out of 2 now and then. This way you can sit back and relax and have a translator which will be a big help at times. I believe the going rate for a driver/translator is $100 - $125 a day and well worth it.

      Since you plan on going to Sumiac, you can fly into the Poprad airport which would be closer than Kosice. If you would like some recommendations on where to stay in the area and would like to see my Sumiac photos on Kodakgallery.com let me know. You won't find too many people in that village that can speak English. I have been there a couple times. My grandparents lived in Sumiac for about 20 years and 8 of their 10 children were born there. It would be nice if you could plan the trip around the Sumiac Folk Festival which is the 2nd weekend in July. If you have any questions about the area feel free to ask, I will do my best.
      Joyce