16806Dual Surnames - What do they imply/mean?

  • Jim
    Apr 8, 2007
      Background:

      Far Eastern Slovakia; Szinna, Zemplen, Hungary. I have an 1843 marriage
      record between a Josef Haburaj and a Maria Galanda. Parents are not listed
      for either bride or groom.

      Beginning in 1845, I find a number of births with the parents listed as
      Josef Galanda and Maria Galanda. On one of the birth records (Gyorgy
      Galanda, 1851), above the name of the father, Josef Galanda, the name
      Haburaj is also written. Haburaj is a surname that appears fairly frequently
      in the village.

      On the 1969 Census [Hungary, Zemplen] the family appears as �

      Szinna-36

      Galanda, Josef [husband]

      Galanda, Maria [wife]

      Galanda Haburaj, Janos [child]

      Galanda Haburaj, Gyorgy [child]

      Galanda Haburaj, Istvan [child]

      Galanda Haburaj, Maria [child]

      Galanda Haburaj, Zusza [child]

      For brevity, I�ve skipped the births/baptisms and years of birth on the
      census. There�s no doubt in my mind that this is the same family. And I feel
      certain that the Josef Haburaj on the 1843 marriage record is the same
      person as the father Josef Galanda as appears on the birth records of the
      children and on the census record.

      The surname Galanda does not appear in any of the records until 1838. I
      would check the birth/baptismal records for the birth of a Josef Haburaj in
      1820-1821, but the records are only available in Hungary.

      What do I take the surname Galanda Haburaj to mean?

      Jim