1671Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Questions

  • sabinov@webtv.net
    May 31, 2000
      Hello Ruth Ann and welcome to the list....

      Unfortunately, we get many queries on lists for any country where people
      say they are going to the "old country" soon and want to do research
      there. It will be difficult to do much if you haven't done the work to
      trace the family in the US first, as that will tell you where and when
      the family arrived etc. You can't "jump the ocean" without doing the
      research where they emigrated to first.

      your best bet is to give her all the info you know now, and ask her to
      keep her eye out and possibly visit the hometown if you know it there.
      Maybe look at some cemeteries there. I honestly wouldn't spend time in
      an overseas archive unless you're very familiar with how they work and
      what you are specifically looking for. It might be a waste of her time.