16251RE: [S-R] Marriages between different religions

  • Janet Kozlay
    Dec 16, 2006
      Dear Carl,

      Menyasszony simply means bride in Hungarian.

      Although mixed marriages were not the norm, we see plenty of them in the
      records. Sometimes the family chose to baptize sons in the father's church
      and daughters in the mother's. (I know personally of one instance where this
      is still done today.) Occasionally you will see lists of conversions in the
      church records, so this must have happened in some cases, but there were
      probably many where there was no conversion and the husband and wife kept
      their traditional religions.

      Bear in mind also that the religion of the godparents may be different, and
      the child may be baptized in their church. (The baby was taken to the church
      for baptism by the godmother.) However, the religion of the child, if
      different from the godparents, would be noted.

      You have not noted what village you are looking at. I presume that it had
      only a Lutheran church. You may need to identify the closest Roman Catholic
      church to find the missing entries.