15151Re: [S-R] VARGA

  • M. Mitchell
    May 2, 2006
      I don't really know. I do know they first lived in NY (my dad was born in Brooklyn), then to NJ for a little while, and then on to CT. In CT they lived quite a while in Bridgeport. I have an aunt that is still alive in CT that has told me all this. I hope to visit her soon to pick her brain for more details.

      MA Bensh <mabensh@...> wrote: Where in NJ were your VARGA relatives? I have a relative who has surname VARGA, WARGA, or MARGA - not really sure. They were from Bayonne, NJ.

      "M. Mitchell" <mnm4va@...> wrote: Simon (and SR group)- Your recent message caught my attention. Let me first apologize to everyone here because I am a neophyte at this stuff. I joined the SR group a few weeks ago and have been monitoring it to see how people do things for a family search, to recognize any related surnames, etc. I have not even begun to organize my research or thoughts to post to the group yet.

      However, in your last line you noted the surname VARGA. That is my maiden name and one that I am searching, in addition to KNAPIK. My grandparents emigrated from a little town in Austria-Hungary (Slovakia?) called Plavnica. My grandmother, Magdalen Knapik (later Varga) was born there on 7/28/1878. My grandfather, Charles Varga, was also from there. Though they came from the same village, they did not know each other. Charles Varga came to the US when he was around 18, Magdalen Kanpik came over when she was around 16. They met in NY and were married. We think both of their parents died in their 60's (around 1918?) from the flu epidemic in Europe. I don't have any info currently on them. Magdalen's parents had 5 daughters and 1 son. Charles' parents had 5 sons and 1 daughter who all came to the US: Charles (NY/CT) Stephen (CT), Martin (NY), Paul (OH), Andrew (CT) and Mary (CT).

      After Magdalen and Charles were in the US for about 2 years they met and got married. They had 11 children, 4 of which died at an early age. One of those children, John J. Varga, was my father (born 12/11/1900). He fought in WWI and was wounded. He died 2/19/1990. The Vargas (Charles & Magdalen) lived first in NY, then in NJ and later in CT.

      I don't know if any of these names are related to yours, but I thought I'd throw them out there to see what happened. Thanks!--Marty V. Mitchell

      "S. R." <srkrizan@...> wrote:
      I need to find the town he came from in the Hungarian Empire. Would there
      be any records in Antwerp?

      Emigration Sep 27, 1892 to Philadelphia PA from Antwerp Belgium on the ship
      Pennsylvania PAL ("Paul Kish" at death) (KISS) Kis born May 02, 1862 in the
      Hungarian Empire, spoke Hungarian, Roman Catholic died Oct 06, 1941 in
      Unionville, Ohio, 79 yrs., Ashtabula Co. Evergreen Cemetery

      That is all I know from certain.
      Simon Richard KRIZAN SRkrizan@... Searching for
      Gergely, Gombos, Gorcsos, Hajdu, (KIS, Kiss or Kish), Sase, (Suzek or
      Suzer), (TUROCZY, Turocziy or Turoczi) ), & Varga all from the Hungarian
      Kingdom?

      Genealogy research Cellular phone family plan Family genealogy Family vacations Genealogy family tree

      Genealogy research Cellular phone family plan Family genealogy Family vacations Genealogy family tree

      Melissa